Heating costs £300 an hour and the dating apps are dire so having someone special to cuddle up to suddenly seems very appealing – and economical. Welcome to cuffing season.
Here’s a full definition of cuffing season, courtesy of Urban Dictionary: “During the winter months people who would normally rather be single or promiscuous find themselves, along with the rest of the world, desiring to be ‘cuffed,’ or tied down by a serious relationship. The cold weather and prolonged indoor activity causes singles to become lonely and desperate to be cuffed.”
Cuffing season isn’t just the pop culture term du jour—it has a basis in evolution. You’re programmed to do what’s best for your survival in order to pass on your genes. Coupling up during winter months used to increase the chances people would make it through the brutal cold and produce offspring, so it stands to reason there are biological mechanisms behind craving companionship when the temperature dips. Tempted to cuff up this season? Not so fast.
Rushing into a relationship after a quick Tinder exchange about his pet dog can spell trouble later down the line, which is why we can use astrology to our advantage here. We asked Michele Knight-Waite, an astrologer, author, broadcaster and creator of The Knight-Waite Tarot Deck, to share some simple hacks for testing your ‘cuffing season compatibility’ with your love interest before you’ve arranged the first date.
Michele has broken down a super simple cheat sheet for every star sign and what type of character you could be cuffing up with based on that (thankfully, most people declare their star signs on their profiles). She has also shared tips on how to use Tarot as a powerful tool for connecting to your intuition about a lover. Handy.
- Aries – Impulsive, red hot, passionate, bossy, and direct. Hates time-wasting. You’ll know where you stand.
- Taurus – Sensual, slow, stubborn – but all-in once committed. Loves the good things in life (that’s you!)
- Gemini– A charming, flirtatious, inventive lover. Can be argumentative but loves new ideas. Hates stupidity, however.
- Cancer– Nurturing, cosy, caring. Can be manipulative if their needs aren’t met. A home cooked meal? They’ll hand you their heart.
- Leo – Warm, generous, needs to be adored. Needs a partner they can admire. If they lose respect for their partner – it’s over.
- Virgo – Takes their time, wants the right match, switches between wild and virginal. Choosy. Doesn’t want just any lover – just the right one.
- Libra – Another charmer. Great at giving and receiving in the bedroom. They share a lot in common with Leo although they would deny this. Has a temper if they feel their partner is being unjust.
- Scorpio – Secretive and protective of their feelings. They show love by revealing their hidden side (multifaceted), Magnetic, loyal, and charismatic. Brilliant in bed. But can play games and withhold.
- Sagittarius – Adventurous, wild, spontaneous, and free-spirited. They see love as a journey. Yes, they can make commitments but clinginess or demands have them heading for the hills.
- Capricorn– Steady, earthy, with huge reserves of sexual stamina. They can be dogmatic and sometimes see things in black and white terms. They may wear a suit, but underneath is the soul of a rock star.
- Aquarius – The wild one. The maverick. The one who is the lover like no other. Open and tolerant – anything goes. Very accepting and open-minded. The most poly of all the signs. Needs freedom – and tolerance.
- Pisces – Romantic, empathetic, compassionate. Seeking more than just a physical connection – it has to be spiritual too. Can spookily pick up on your secret fantasies. But can also lack boundaries.
Testing your compatibility with the Tarot
As well as using astrology, Michele is convinced the Tarot is also a powerful tool for connecting to your intuition about a lover or decoding their unspoken, hidden desires. Ooof. Here’s how:
“Simply shuffle your Tarot deck and focus on that potential or current date. Pull three Tarot cards (if you don’t have a tarot deck you can go to knightwaitetarot.com and scroll down to the free 3 card reading).
“The first card is what you desire from your upcoming cuffing, what helps you and also reveals any blocks you may have. The second card refers to your date – what they are looking for in a partner. And also what to expect. The third card shows you the likely outcome. And don’t forget – ‘tis the season for trying people on for size, which is what dating is all about. You can swipe and read again. As many times as you like until you find the right one.”