Pop Culture

Suspect in fatal shooting of Migos rapper Takeoff arrested on murder charge

A 33-year-old man was arrested on a murder charge in the shooting of rapper Takeoff, who police on Friday said was an “innocent bystander” when he was struck by gunfire outside a Houston bowling alley.

Patrick Xavier Clark was taken into custody peacefully Thursday night, Houston Police Chief Troy Finner said. Clark’s arrest came one day after another man was charged in connection with the Nov. 1 shooting, which authorities said followed a dispute over a dice game and wounded two other people.

Clark was being held in jail Friday awaiting a bond hearing. Court records do not list an attorney who could speak for him, but indicate he was arrested as he was preparing to leave the country for Mexico.


This image provided by the Houston Police Dept., shows Patrick Xavier Clark, 33, who has been arrested in the fatal shooting of rapper Takeoff. (Houston Police Dept. via AP).


Born Kirsnick Khari Ball, Takeoff was the youngest member of Migos, the Grammy-nominated rap trio from suburban Atlanta that also featured his uncle Quavo and cousin Offset.

Story continues below advertisement

The 28-year-old musician was shot outside the downtown bowling alley at around 2:30 a.m., when police said a dispute erupted as more than 30 people were leaving a private party there. Police previously said another man and a woman suffered non-life-threatening gunshot injuries and that at least two people opened fired.

Read more:

Migos rapper Takeoff, 28, shot dead in Houston bowling alley

Police Sgt. Michael Burrow said during a Friday news conference that the gunfire followed a disagreement over a “lucrative” game of dice, but that Takeoff was not involved and was “an innocent bystander.” Finner said police do not know whether Clark was invited to the party or if he knew Takeoff.

Every person on the scene left without talking to police, Burrow said. Some of those people have since been located by the authorities, who have also worked to piece together events with ballistics, video and audio recordings, according to Burrow. He said investigators are still trying to track down witnesses.

“We will be looking to find you,” he said. “It will be easier if you come find us.”

On Wednesday, authorities announced the arrest of Cameron Joshua in connection to the shooting. Joshua was charged with illegally having a gun at the time Takeoff was shot, but prosecutors said the 22-year-old is not believed to have fired the weapon. Christopher Downey, Joshua’s attorney, told reporters that he has not seen anything to suggest that his client was involved in Takeoff’s killing.

Story continues below advertisement

Burrow said that investigators believe it was Clark’s gunfire that killed the rapper.


Click to play video: 'Police say Takeoff was ‘innocent bystander’ and ‘not involved’ in argument that led to fatal shooting'


Police say Takeoff was ‘innocent bystander’ and ‘not involved’ in argument that led to fatal shooting


Prosecutors on Friday asked a court to set Clark’s bond at $1 million, arguing he is a flight risk. After Takeoff’s shooting, Clark applied for an expedited passport by submitting the itinerary for an “imminent” flight to Mexico, according to court records. They say he was arrested the day he received the passport and was in possession of a “large amount” of cash.

Fans and other performers, including Drake and Justin Bieber, celebrated Takeoff’s musical legacy in a memorial service last month in Atlanta.

Migos’ record label, Quality Control, mourned Takeoff’s death in a statement posted on Instagram that attributed it to “senseless violence.”

Migos first broke through with the massive hit “Versace” in 2013. They had four Top 10 hits on the Billboard Hot 100, though Takeoff was not on their multi-week No. 1 hit “Bad and Boujee,” featuring Lil Uzi Vert. They put out a trilogy of albums called “Culture,” “Culture II” and “Culture III,” with the first two hitting No. 1 on the Billboard 200 album chart.

Story continues below advertisement

Takeoff and Quavo released a joint album “Only Built for Infinity Links” just weeks before his death.

Bleiberg reported from Dallas.

&copy 2022 The Canadian Press

Products You May Like

Articles You May Like

All About John Miller, Jennifer Garner’s Boyfriend of 4+ Years
Iggy Azaela Rocks Strapless Red Bikini While Smiling For New Photo Shoot: Video
The Love You Save
Berlinale Adds Disney Tribute, Donna Summer Docs To Line-Up; Omar Sy WWI Drama ‘Father & Soldier’ Hits 1M Spectators Mark In France; Studiocanal Boss Anna Marsh To Keynote Mip TV; Sony Pictures Germany Veteran Martin Bachmann Joins Constantin Board – Global Briefs
Motown’s Barrett Strong, known for ‘Money,’ dies at 81

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.